Friday, July 11, 2008

Amy Butler Birdie Sling

I have taken a long and unanticipated break from our blog! Welcome back to me! I'm loving Molly's posts about the quilt market. I've finally gotten settled in a new/old city and picked up my sewing projects. This is the Birdie Sling I made for Gracie Lou's Quilt Shoppe: The fabric pattern is a little busy so you can't see the cute pleats around the band. I really love this fabric but I think I'd choose something different for myself. The bag wasn't too difficult to make but I do have a tip for anyone planning to make the bag. First and FYI, the bag is bit bigger than it looks on the pattern photo. Amy Butler herself is in the photo and she is one tall chica! The main tip is to use fusible interfacing instead of fusible fleece like the pattern calls for. The fusible fleece is really thick and helps the bag hold its form quite well, but I think a really sturdy fusible interfacing would do the job just as well and eliminate some bulk. This was my first time using fusible fleece and I bought exactly what the pattern called for. I'm wondering if there are lighter weights and if so, and light weight fleece might work well too.

4 comments:

Molly said...

The bag looks really great!

coryshay said...

Too cute!

Robin said...

Is it the same pattern as the bag that you carry around mostly? I like it, especially the pleats.

Bonny said...

Robin-it's not the same pattern but it is quite similar.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin